Alaska-Embarkation and Ketchikan


So, I’ve been on vacation. Well, that’s not entirely true. I was on vacation, and then I got the death plague on vacation, and spent the last week trying to shake the remainder sniffles/cough and having to go to WORK and look at a computer all day again. That was nice, on vacation, to not stare at a screen all the time.

Day 0, Friday: Travel

We went on an Alaskan cruise with a large chunk of my mom’s family. Mike and I flew to Vancouver via Seattle on a Friday night and got in super late (for me). I think the plane landed around 12:30 after circling for a while. Maybe it’s just me, but at the end of any flight, no matter the length (Seattle->Vancouver was like 30 minutes), I am like, “GET ME OFF OF THIS NARROW METAL TUBE NOWWWWWW” and any delays or circling or being in the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back of the plane during disembarkation is just pure aggravation.

Anywho! We landed and went through customs and found our luggage. My parents, who had already been in Canada for almost a week, picked us up and we went to a nearby hotel.

Ok, sure, that doesn’t look too exciting, but it actually was a pretty neat hotel with wrap around windows.

Day 1, Saturday-Embarkation: The next day, we got up, had breakfast, repacked. I took a long shower, knowing the remainder of the week would see a shower the size of a postage stamp. We took my parents’ rental car back to the airport and boarded the cruise shuttle. Some family members were mere minutes behind us and got on the next shuttle. They were lucky, our driver was mute, theirs gave them a tour of Vancouver.

Cruise port: long line for security, long line for customs, moderate line for check-in, mild waiting for dad to go to the bathroom, yay, we’re finally on board!

Our room was a typical small room. Nothing super exciting, see?

My parents were much less enthused with their room, but we’ll not get into that. Eventually, we all met up at the food court buffet, since no one had eaten since about 9a and it was now 3p. After the muster drill (Mike and my muster station was in the casino?! Shouldn’t we know where our lifeboat is??), we reconverged on my parents’ room, which had a balcony and said our goodbyes to Vancouver.

My parents’ room was at the rear port side of the ship, and our room was four floors down on the forward starboard side. Which meant we spent a lot of time walking down the world’s longest hallway. (It was 492 steps from their room to our room)

Day 2, Sunday-At sea: I don’t terribly remember what we did this day, other than get lost and turned around a lot. Which is weird for me, because I have the spatial abilities of a human map. The International Dining room, where they served sit-down breakfast and lunch (you could also go to what my dad termed “The Pig Trough” but it was much busier), was at the back of the ship, one floor up from our room. But you could only access it by the rear-most stairs, and in getting there, you couldn’t go anywhere else but up or inside the dining room. We had to go up two flights of stairs, all the way to the back of the ship, and then down one flight. It was bizarre.

Oh right, day 2 was the formal night. I brought the dress that I had bought for the rehearsal dinner and ended up not wearing because it was FREEZING. I had tried to borrow a black dress from my neighbor, but it was sadly too large on top.

Here is my cousin Erik, his girlfriend Tiffany, my grandma, myself, and Mike:

Day 3, Monday-Ketchikan: Mike was jonesing to see the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan, which is not exactly a high-attraction town.

They have food recommended by cruise ships:

and offices sharing diamond buildings:

And lumberjack shows so rigged that it was obvious:

We also visited a salmon ladder that the salmon were not climbing, but they were resting. Do you see them over there? In the shallows? Yeah, salmon. Woo!

We decided to get back on board our ship for lunch, as the food in Alaska is pretty expensive, and as we’ve already established, recommended by cruise ship crews. We departed Ketchikan around 1:30p (it was a short day). Mike and I sat out on the deck as we left and watched the scenery

In the next post, Juneau, Skagway, and more!


2 thoughts on “Alaska-Embarkation and Ketchikan

  1. Kathy

    Wow, when I was still living with my parents and everyone I knew had moved away and I was feeling depressed and desperate, I almost took a job sliming fish in the Salmon Capital of the World, just to get the hell out. I’m glad I didn’t though. The vacillate between being super busy and super not… 16 hour work days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s