I’m on a panel at the campus “Sharecase” conference later this month. One of our tasks was to create a “Top Ten” list of things our users should do before calling us for help.
Here’s what we came up with:
1. Restart the application
2. Restart the computer
3. Check all cables
4. Check caps lock key
5. Ensure you are using the correct login name/password
6. Make sure you are online (check browser)
7. Write down your error messages
8. Ask neighbors to see if they also have issues
9. Call when the problem occurs (not three days later)
10. Provide relevant details (eg. Do not say, “The server is not working” Which server?)
11. Plan ahead (wireless request, vacation messages, loaners, etc)
12. Call ACT Help Desk (this is more a “ha ha” suggestion)
Can anyone think of anything else?